In this blog we are trying to give you all the helping information regarding you mobility equipment.


You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home, for example to:

widen doors and install ramps.improve access to rooms and facilities – eg stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom.provide a heating system suitable for your needs.adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use.A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

What you’ll get? How much you get depends on your:

household income household savings over £6,000 Country Grant England Up to £30,000 Wales Up to £36,000 Northern Ireland Up to £25,000 Scotland Disabled Facilities Grants are not available – find out about support for equipment and adaptations Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account. Contact your local council for more information.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

How you’ll be paid? You’ll be paid either:

in instalments – as the work progresses in full – when the work is finished The council may pay the contractor directly or give you a cheque to pass on to them. They’ll agree this with you when they approve your application.

When you’ll be paid? You’ll be paid either:

when the council is happy with the finished work when you give the council the invoice, demand or receipt for payment from the contractor Normally, if you (or a relative) does the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.

Get more information on www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants